This entry was posted 5 years, 4 months ago.
November 17, 2011
Millions of people are affected by various types of allergies, like food allergies, pet allergies and others. Specialists say that children are ten times more prone to having food allergies than adults, and the most commonly they are caused by such foods as chocolate, citrus fruits, soy products, cow’s milk and so on. If you are the one who suffers from allergies, your health is constantly in danger, and it is very important to know as much as possible about this problem. Check out top 9 allergy myths below in order to find out facts from false ideas.
- Food allergies should be considered among the most common types of allergies. This is not true and experts believe that most of those people who think that they have a food allergy actually do not have any food allergy at all. It is estimated that below 1 per cent of adult people have a food allergy, and about 3-8 per cent kids have a food allergy, too.
- Allergies can not be hereditary. Studies have shown that such factor as heredity actually can play a role in allergy development. If a parent or both parents have certain allergies the child has about 30 per cent higher chances to have the same type of allergies.
- It is impossible to develop an allergy if you’re an adult. It is true that mostly allergies start in the childhood. However, adults can get allergies as well. Mostly the situation goes like this: in the childhood we develop certain types of allergies but they are not revealed with any symptoms and signs, and when we turn into adults, the allergies start persisting.
- Allergies do not impose a life-threatening danger. It is partially true and many allergies are quite harmless, but some people are quite sensitive and allergies in such people can trigger very serious health conditions. Anaphylactic shock, extremely low blood pressure, problems with respiration and other symptoms can signal about the necessity to go to a health care specialists.
- Eating cooked foods can not cause food allergies. This fact is actually not totally false as eating cooked foods lowers our chances to develop allergies, but cooking the foods can not save us completely from developing food allergies.
- 100 per cent organic foods do not cause allergies. Consuming only organic foods can not guarantee that you are not going to have allergies. Moreover, a number of the most common allergens are actually almost unprocessed foods like wheat, soybeans, seafood, nuts and so on.
- Pets with no hair or short hair do not cause allergies. This is a very common allergy myth, and the truth is that pets’ hair does not cause allergy at all. Usually, pet allergies are caused by special proteins released by pets’ skin.
- It is possible to outgrow allergies. It was found out that children can outgrow certain allergies as their digestive system grows and develops. This can be said about such food allergies as the ones to eggs, cow’s milk, soy products and some others. However, it is impossible to outgrow the most of allergies.
- Moving to another climatic zone can help us solve the problem of allergies. This is one of the common allergy myths which was recently debunked by scientists.