For people with pale skin it takes only a few minutes to remain under direct hot summer sun rays to damage the skin and make it burn. There are numerous natural cures and herbal remedies for sunburn which can be used for soothing pain and reducing swelling, speed up recovering process and avoid possible complications. Prior to applying natural sunburn remedies, do not use such “controversial” sunburn solutions as butter. It is more effective to cool down your burnt skin area with a little of clod water, or just take a cool bath before starting the actual treatment.
Remember that the main benefits of using natural sunburn remedies in this case is the absence of side effects, and also these natural cures are affordable and absolutely free from toxins or harmful chemicals. Check out the list of the most effective natural solutions which can help you combat pains and skin redness linked to sunburn.
1. Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera gel is considered to be one of the best and the most effective herbal remedies for sunburn. It has perfect moisturizing properties and can speed up recovery process to a great extent. You can buy aloe vera gel, or simply use aloe vera juice. Apply it directly onto the affected areas.
2. Cucumber. Applying fresh cucumber juice to the affected areas of the body will help you refresh the skin, cool it down and relieve pain. It also has excellent moisturizing properties which are very important in such situations.
3. Apple vinegar. Applying this remedy can assist preventing burning and stinging sensation.
4. Olive oil. Olive oil has amazing soothing effects, and it can be mixed with apple vinegar in order to maximize the effects.
5. Calendula oil. It can be applied directly to the skin using a cottonball, but since this natural remedy has quite strong effects, it can be used mixed with water in 1:2 ratio.
6. Lavender oil. One of the most commonly used herbal remedies for sunburn, lavender oil has amazing moisturuzing and pain relieving powers. It can be used to old sunburn scars and blisters.
7. Chamomile oil. This natural remedy can be used for effective pain relief combined with great anti-inflammatory properties of this oil. It should be applied as a water solution (4-5 drops for 100 ml water).
8. St. John’s Wort oil. This one of the greatest herbal remedies for sunburn can be applied directly onto the skin, and to increase the effects it can be mixed with almond or olive oil as a base. St. John’s Wort oil has excellent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
9. Black tea. Apply some strong black tea directly onto the effected areas of your skin, and tannins in this natural remedy will help relieving pain. Also, you can use tea bags right onto burned areas. It is possible to use green tea as well.
It is essential to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration and provide your skin cells with liquid to recover as fast as possible. To support your skin, it can be useful to take Vitamins E, A and C. If after the sunburn you have a high fever, you can use sandalwood essential oil which can help you both sooth the pain and reduce fever. However, if you have a high degree sunburn, better visit your doctor for further treatment. Beware of the dangerous effects of sunrays, and have a great summer!Author Info: Hi! My name is Carla and I am a 5th year medical student at HYMS. I am interested in alternative medicine and I have done months researching the topic of herbal medicine. Besides, I like interviewing people and learning more about their experiences with one or another type of herbal treatments. I am willing to contribute to this site with my knowledge, and I would be happy to help you out to the best of my ability with any specific questions or problems related to alternative medicine.