This entry was posted 5 years, 9 months ago.
May 2, 2011
Osteoarthritis (or degenerative arthritis) is quite a common disease which is mainly diagnosed in women aged over 40. This ailment is linked to the processes connected with aging which lead to the cartilage in the joints become thinner, rougher and more worn out causing inflammations, pains, swellings and specific outgrowths on the joints. The symptoms of osteoarthritis include join stiffness and pains (sometimes bleeding), and this disease can progress on the joints of the feet, knees, arms, hips, neck, back and so on. Osteoarthritis is among the leading causes of various types of disabilities and life quality reduction in modern world.
Though there is no effective cure for this serious problem, there are numerous natural treatments and herbal remedies for osteoarthritis which can substantially ease the pains, reduce swellings and help in regrowing the cartilage. If you are suffering from this disease, try using the following herbs and plants to relieve the symptoms of osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis (after checking with your doctor or a qualified health care specialist):
- Ginger. The researches by the scientists at the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine have shown that ginger root can be suggested to the patients with osteoarthritis due to its excellent anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Recommended usage: tea or capsules.
- Turmeric. This herb was tested and studied by the experts at the University of Maryland Medical Center, and it was proven to be of a great help for reducing inflammation and improving general condition of people with osteoarthritis. Recommended usage: powder or capsules.
- Stinging Nettle. The specialists from the University of Maryland Medical Center found out that using ointments or tinctures of this herbal remedy can substantially reduce joint pains, decreasing inflammation and relieving other symptoms of osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis. Recommended usage: topical applications, under the supervision of a doctor.
- Devil’s Claw. This herbal remedy for osteoarthritis is valued for its very powerful anti-inflammatory properties. It is also reported to be very effective for increasing mobility in joints. Recommended usage: capsules.
- Cat’s Claw. Another known and strong anti-inflammatory agent which, however, may have some side effects (like headaches, nausea, vomiting and so on). Recommended usage: capsules, liquid extracts and teas.
- Hawthorn Berries. This is one of the best herbal remedies for osteoarthritis which can help in reducing the damage in joints and bones by stimulating collagen production in the cartilage. This natural product is also known as a great solution for reducing swelling. Recommended usage: capsules.
- Feverfew. Known for its powerful anti-inflammatory properties, this herb can be used to reduce inflammation linked to osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis. Recommended usage: tea or capsules.
- Cayenne. A great natural warming and stimulating agent, this herbal remedy is very effective for reducing pains and swelling. Recommended usage: topical applications
- Horsetail. It is an effective remedy to reduce inflammation, strengthen joint tissues and relieve other symptoms of osteoarthritis. Recommended usage: capsules or extracts.
- Boswellia Serrata. This herbal remedy contains natural acids with excellent anti-inflammatory effects which can assist in reducing inflammation and shrinking the inflamed tissues. Also, this herb is known for its stimulating qualities, therefore it can help in stimulating blood flow to the joint and assist in the cartilage regeneration. Recommended usage: topical applications.
- Willow Bark. Despite of all controversies and negative findings of the studies, willow bark extract is being effectively used to relieve joint pains linked to osteoarthritis. Recommended usage: topical applications.