This entry was posted 6 years, 11 months ago.
May 27, 2010
Anxiety is a common effect of daily stresses and emotional overloads we have to face. There are chronic forms of anxiety, which are characterized by repeating senses of worry and certain physical symptoms. Such diseases as obsessive-compulsive disorder are also linked to chronic anxiety. Also, anxiety can occur in acute forms, including panic attacks, PTSD and other mental disorders which are sudden and have quite threatening symptoms.
Herbal medicine has many effective solutions which can relieve the symptoms of these disorders, assist in calming down nervous tension and help to get rid of fears. Use the following herbal remedies for anxiety:
- Lemon Balm (Melissa Officinalis). This herb can effectively reduce the symptoms of stresses and anxiety as it is considered to be one of the most powerful natural sedatives. Using extracts or herbal tea with Lemon Balm is reported to restore nervous system function and improve the function of digestive system.
- Valerian Root (Valeriana Officinalis). It is another excellent sedative, which is usually used in capsules or dietary supplements. This herbal remedy can relieve anxiety, promote sleep and improve cardio-vascular health. However, sometimes Valerian root causes slight side effects, like headaches, increased drowsiness and so on.
- Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata). This herbal remedy is especially effective for chronic anxiety and it has great calming qualities. It can be used in the form of extracts, herbal teas or tinctures, and it is a recommended treatment for such health problems as insomnia, hypertension, asthma, and others. It can be used for treating hyperactivity in children.
- Chamomile (Matricaria recutita). A cup of chamomile tea has amazing soothing and relaxing effects, it can help you reduce anxiety, relieve muscle pains and stomach pains.
- Saint John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum). It is one of the most common herbal remedies for depression, which can be also used to gain emotional stability, improve sleep quality and relieve anxiety.
- Lavender (Lavandula augustifolia). This herb has an amazing relaxing and calming don aroma, which can effectively calm down nervous system and normalize blood pressure.
- Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare). Fennel can relieve such symptoms of anxiety as nausea and stomach discomfort.
- Skullcap (Scutellaria galericulata). This effective natural sedative can relieve nervous tension and anxiety, induce sleep and so on.
- In terms of aromatherapy, in order to reduce the symptoms of anxiety it is effective to use such essential oils as sedarwood, lavender, lemon, bergamot, geranium, sandalwood and other essential oils.