1. Do not drink tea on an empty stomach. This rule derived from an old Chinese proverb, saying that it is not too good drinking tea on an open heart. Drinking tea, especially very hot or cold tea, on an empty stomach can cause sudden change of temperature in your stomach and spleen, and cause some unwanted side effects.
2. Do not drink too hot tea. Hot tea disturbs our throat, feeding tube and stomach. Prolonged consumptions of too hot tea can result in fatal changes in these body parts, in particular – bring to throat cancer. According to scientists, the temperature of the tea should not be higher than 56C.
3. Do not drink too cold tea. If drinking warm and moderately hot tea is inked to numerous health benefits, drinking cold tea will result in nothing else but constant cold and effective cough.
5. Do not brew your tee for too long. When you brew your tea for too long, the tea polyphenols and oils start going through oxidation process, making your tea less transparent, aromatic and much less therapeutic. In particular, the most of vitamins can be lost. So, brew your tea only for the required time, depending on the type of tea leaves.
6. Do not brew your tea several times. In the first brewing you receive about 50-60% of the tea useful elements, in the second brewing you receive 30%, and the third brewing gives you more of harmful elements, that go out of tea leaves on the last place.
7. Do not drink tea right before your meal time. Drinking tea right before having meals usually leads to dilution of saliva, loss of appetite and problems with meal digestion. It is recommended not to drink tea 30 minutes before the mealtime.
8. Do not drink tea right after having meal. It can result in slowed down digestion process and affect the whole digestion function. Best of all is to drink tea 20-30 minutes after having meal.
9. Do not use tea to help swallow medicines. All types of tea have very high content of tannin, which negatively affects medicine digestion. Ancient Chinese therapist and medical practitioners used to say that tea destroys medicines.
10. Do not drink yesterday’s tea. Such tea loses the majority of its nutritional values and health benefits. Moreover, it is an ideal environment for many harmful bacteria. Therefore, you can use yesterday’s tea only for external treatments (for example, to treat tired eyes, for skin treatment, etc.).Author Info: Hi! My name is Carla and I am a 5th year medical student at HYMS. I am interested in alternative medicine and I have done months researching the topic of herbal medicine. Besides, I like interviewing people and learning more about their experiences with one or another type of herbal treatments. I am willing to contribute to this site with my knowledge, and I would be happy to help you out to the best of my ability with any specific questions or problems related to alternative medicine.